Monday, August 27, 2012

Newsletter 8/27 - 8/31

Hello! Here is the information for this week:

Homework:  Thank you for encouraging your children to complete their homework.  I have asked the students to have their homework checked by a parent or older sibling before they bring it back to school.  The students earn extra incentives when they have a parent initial their homework and turn it in at the first of class.  Occasionally there will be a problem on the homework that has not yet been covered in class.  If this is the case, help your child the best you can and I will go over it in class the next day.

Daily 5:  We have started our listening, word work and read-to-self.  It is all going along nicely!  Each child has their own bag of books on their reading level to enjoy during read-to-self time.

Math Groups:  We will be finishing up our chapter on numeration this week.  Next week we will begin our chapter on adding numbers.

Times Tables:  We are currently working on our 2 times tables.  We will try to get them passed off by the end of this week.

Cursive:  Our students are continuing to show great improvements with the cursive writing.  Encourage your child to write a little in cursive at home to reinforce this skill.

Unit Study: We have started our unit on Heat & Light.  The students will have a chance to move as a class to the other teachers for a lesson and experiment.  Next, we will be studying the history of Iron County.

Grades:  Please check your child's grades periodically on Powerschool.  On Thursdays I meet with your child to check their eligibility to shop at the class store on Fridays.  The students must maintain an 80% or above to qualify.

*I want to inform you of a personal situation that I will be attending to throughout next week.  I will be absent on Friday (8/31) through Friday (9/7).  On Friday I will be at the wedding of my niece in Salt Lake.  I will then be traveling to Gilbert, AZ to stay with my 5 nieces and nephews whose mother is undergoing surgery for a brain tumor.  Fortunately, I was able to get Jeanne Boggess to be the substitute during that time.  She has worked in my class a lot in the past and knows our classroom procedures very well. I appreciate your understanding at this time.  I know it is not ideal to leave my students this early in the year, but life situations arise that are out of our control.  Your children are doing so well, and I have no doubt that they will carry on just fine with Mrs. Boggess.
Thank you again!




No comments: